I would suggest a page rate for pieces under three pages such as web copy, newsletters, etc.
Hourly rates are more geared toward, newspaper and/or magazine articles at or above 750 words, short stories or novel manuscripts.
However, this is only a suggestion, and ultimately the client’s preference.
Hourly rates coincide with the page rate’s criteria, and depend upon the complexity of the project at hand.
For a more detailed quote, please submit a 500-word sample of your work indicative of your writing style. Please select a section that represents the author throughout the entire document for the most accurate assessment.
Copy-editing, basic 5–10 ms pgs/hr $25–40/hr
Copy-editing, heavy 2–5 ms pgs/hr $35–50/hr
Substantive | line editing 1–6 ms pgs/hr $40–65/hr
- The editing industry standard for a “page” is 250 words.
- Divide your total word count by 250 to determine your costs.
- All quoted rates include those hard copy manuscripts or those sent as a file and written in MS Word.
- PDF documents require higher rates due to the complicated editing tools involved.
- All quotes are in U.S. currency.
Express Proofreading applies to works already polished, yet in need of a final read to seek out minor errors.
- $2.00/page when marking hard copy
- $1.95/page for corrected file copy
- spelling errors
- inaccurate punctuation
- oversights in capitalization
- $2.95/page when marking hard copy
- $2.50/page for corrected file copy
Includes Basic Proofreading plus:
- Inconsistencies of Narrative Voice
- Revision of inconsistent or inadequate grammar
- Context, Formatting and Structure Proofing
- Word Choice
- Grammatical Mechanics
- Overall Sense Compatibility
- $7.50/page for corrected file copy
- $7.95/page when marking hard copy
Substantive Editing / Rewriting
Complete overhaul--in need of extensive revisions
Includes all services above, as well as the following:
- Line-by-line in depth review
- One-on-one communication between author and editor
- Highlighting of questionable text
- Suggestions for rewording
- Clarification comments or questions
- Written directly into/onto manuscript for easier reference
- Proofing of revised copy
- $12.00/page when marking hard copy
- $10.00/page for corrected file copy